Alarm saves a life
In duplex fire
By PAUL COLLINS - Bulletin Staff Writer
Fire officials are crediting a smoke alarm with saving a man’s life in a fire Friday morning that extensively damaged a duplex in Martinsville.
No one was hurt.
Cotton Trent, chief of the Ridgeway District Volunteer Fire Department, said Ryan Ward lives in the unit on Rivermont Heights Road where the fire started. He was awakened by a smoke alarm Friday morning.
Ward got out of the unit and alerted the resident in the other unit, Danny Asbury, who also got out, Trent said.